The site of Star Harbor is one of the most historically significant industrial areas in the Bay Area.
Development Plan for Warehouse 48, created in collaboration with multiple community groups, is approved by the Alameda City Council.
After business failed to materialize, the cranes were dismantled and shipped and efforts began to redevelop the site.
A second container shipping crane was erected.
Businessman Chengben (Peter) Wang purchases the remaining Alaska Packers land, including Encinal Terminals and the Del Monte Warehouse.
Container shipping expansion at the Port of Oakland eclipsed activity at Encinal Terminals, and business faded. Distribution operations were relocated to San Leandro, Port of Oakland and other locations.
1958 – 59
Container shipping was introduced to Encinal Terminals.
First high-speed container handling gantry crane becomes fully operational at Encinal Terminals.
Over one million tons of cargo on more than 700 ships passed through Encinal Terminals via truck and rail distribution.
1940 – 1945
During World War II, Encinal Terminals served as the General Navy Supply Depot for the South Pacific, shipping aviation fuel, tanks, trucks, guns, ammunition and buoys and then was used as relief supplies.
Part of the land was sold and became Fortman Marina.
The Star of Alaska was the last of the sailing ships to make the voyage north under sail.
A huge brick distribution warehouse, served by the belt line, was built by California Packing Corporation, which later became Del Monte, on Buena Vista Avenue. Designed by Philip Bush, the brick structure was used to store Del Monte-brand goods prior to shipping.
Encinal Terminals, Alameda’s first shipping terminal, was built by the California Packing Corporation, which was originally named the Alaska Packers.
The sailing ships were gradually replaced by steam ships.
Alameda constructed the Alameda Belt Line railway along Clement Avenue from Broadway to Grand Street, providing a rail connection to the transcontinental line.
The Alaska Packers’ operation grew to about 25 acres, including the man-made rectangular mooring basin now known as Alaska Basin. The yard employed about 300 men to repair and maintain the fleet.
Several independent fishing operators, including Henry F. Fortman, merged to create the Alaska Packers Association, the largest salmon packing company in the world, headquartered in San Francisco. Whaling fleets began using The Oakland Estuary as a winter mooring.