Every aspect of Star Harbor is designed to honor the unique character and spirit of the greater Alameda community, as well as the history of this site. The vision is for this site to connect seamlessly with the context of the surrounding neighborhoods, providing smooth traffic flow and access to the waterfront and the community’s retail/restaurant amenities.
- Provides direct public access to a planned waterfront promenade
- Serves as an economic engine by bringing jobs to the Northern Waterfront area
- Turns an underused, decaying historic landmark into a permanent community asset
- Creates transit connections: intra-city bike paths and potential water taxi to Oakland
- Redevelops post-industrial land into a desirable mixed-use destination
- Offers a broad range of housing options: affordable rentals to luxury condos
- Funds improvements to the 22-acre Jean Sweeney Open Space Park, the former Belt Line railroad